The castle was probably built by one of the MacDougall Lords of Lorn in the 13th century and was once the major stronghold of the Lords of the Isles. It first comes on record in the later 14th century when it was in the possession of the Lords of the Isles. It appears to have been garrisoned by Argyll’s troops in 1690, though it was described two years previously as ‘ruinous, old, useless and never of any Strength’. Throughout the 18th century the lands of Aros were farmed by a succession of Campbell tacksmen, but there is no record of the castle having been inhabited at this period.
Aros Castle is defended on the seaward side by low cliffs, and originally by a ditch on the inland side. It commanded a strong defensive position; there is the ruin of a small chapel beside it.
It is possible to walk around the ruins of the castle at your own risk.
For a guided wildlife walk, taking in Aros Castle please click here.
Click on the link for a location map. When on the map go to Esri Satellite for a better look